Friday, December 6, 2013

For the Stage - DIY LAMP POST

DIY LAMP POST

Yes, this is a DIY!! That fact was a surprise to many who saw it up close. They thought it had been purchased. I'll admit, I loved the compliments. I too was excited at how well it turned out.

Made mostly of cardboard making it light weight.
Comes apart for easy storage.




WHY I DID THIS:
Our church was doing a "Night On Broadway" event and I was asked to dress the stage with little time and a small budget. I took on the challenge. One of the things I needed for my design were a couple of lamp posts. Since I couldn't afford to rent any, as I had previously done for a wedding reception, and I couldn't find anyone who had one or two I could borrow I ended up making them.

WHAT I DID:
First of all, I got my initial idea from my sister who is an amazing artist and a creative genius! (Check out some of her art at http://www.mcfarlanearts.blogspot.com/) She had made some pretty amazing lamp posts for a project she was working on. (see picture below) I didn't need mine to be as fancy as hers so I scaled it back and went for it with the materials I thought would work. Most items I had on hand; left over from other projects I had done, or had attempted to do. (Not everything is a working success. "I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work."  -Thomas Edison :D)

My sister's lamp posts in use.

Materials:
Cardboard
Fabric bolt tube (empty)
Black Duct Tape
Copier paper or Melamine
Almost empty black duct tape roll
Low Temp hot glue sticks and gun
1"x4"x 4" piece of wood
PVC Plug
PVC coupler
A few screws
Flat black spray paint
Tape Measure
Straight edge
Pencil
Push lamp from the dollar store (you can see it sitting on the table next to the lamp post in the photo at the top of the post - the small white circle thing)

THE BASICS:
This is how I made it work for me with the materials I had.

The Lamp Box:
Figure 1
I designed this lamp box to open on one side for easy insertion of a push lamp. In my sister's design, the top came off for the same purpose.








BOX SIDES: Need 4 total. Paper or melamine for windows. (I used copier paper because it was what I had on hand). Cut them to the same dimensions as the box sides then trim (or just cut .25" smaller all the way around to begin with - see Figure 3.1).

Figure 2
Figure 3
MEASUREMENTS:
Top & Bottom: 7.5"
Width: 9:5" (gently fold along this line)
Height: 16"
Borders: 1"

Three of these remain all one piece.  For the fourth, separate the top section from the bottom section as shown in Figure 3.




Figure 3.1
Finished Lamp Box
showing swinging door.
(I used a couple extra
pieces of duct tape
for securing the door
when closed.)
BASE & TOP: (Cut 2)
Figure 4
          Base & Top: 7.5" square
          (Figure 4)















After I had all the pieces cut I taped it all together with the black duct tape. I thought about just taping the seams and spray painting the rest, but decided to put tape over the whole thing in an attempt to make it more durable.  I've been pleased with how well the pieces have held up with all the use they've seen.

I hot glued the mostly used tape roll in the center of the bottom of the lamp box. The tape roll would be the collar that would fit over the empty fabric bolt or "post". Since the tape roll was too large to fit snugly over the empty bolt I cut strips of cardboard, rolled them up to give them a curl, then coiled them around the inside of the tape roll filling the gap. (see Figures 5 & 6) Once I got the fit I wanted, I hot glued the coiled cardboard strips into place.

Figure 5
Figure 6


The Base & Post:

I would have preferred to use a 3" PVC pipe for the post of my lamp, but budget did not permit.  I happened to have an empty fabric bolt, so that is what I used. However, the bolt was not long enough to give me the height I wanted so I had to improvise.

I cut TWO CARDBOARD CIRCLES - 12" diameter and set one aside. TIP: See my "Perfect Circles" post at  http://jillscreativeumbrella.blogspot.com/2013/12/cardboard-creations-perfect-circles.html) On the other one, I found exact center of the circle and drew a circle the diameter of the bolt tube in the exact center.

TIP for finding exact center

TIP: Trace the end of the bolt onto a piece of cardboard, then cut it out. Find exact center on the small circle and match it up with exact center on the 12" circle. Trace around the small cardboard circle.







I then cut the center circle 1/2" from the edge of the drawn line for the small circle. (see Figure 7 - drawn line is the solid line - cut line is dotted line). NOTE: It is always easier to cut more off than it is to add cardboard back when you've cut too much off. I always err on the side of having to trim again. I then cut small wedges out around the edge of the small circle creating small pieces of cardboard that I could gently fold down to fit the post into place. (see Figures 7.1 & 7.2)

Figure 7
Figure 7.1


Figure 7.2
After I made certain the small circle in the center was going to work with the bolt tube, I taped the 12" circle to one end of my base piece (see below), wrapping the base piece around the circle.

THE BASE PIECE measured approximately 38.5" wide x 31" high - (lines in the cardboard running 31" inches, top to bottom). Initially, I just taped the two together to get them to stay in place. Once it was taped in place, I used hot glue from the inside around the entire bottom edge of the 12" circle for stability. After the glue had cooled and the circle was firmly in place, I went around the top outside edge with black duct tape to give the tape the finished look as seen in Figure 7.2.

Preparation of the post and inside circle:

I prepared my second 12" circle by determining the exact center of the circle and the exact center of a 1"x4" piece of wood. I then attached the plug, (see figure 8) which had previously had a hole drilled in it from another project, in the exact center of the piece of wood with a screw. I used a fiber washer to make sure the head of the screw wouldn't slide through the hole in the plug. After attaching the plug, I hot glued the piece of wood in the exact center of my circle. (See figures 9 and 9.1) 

Figure 8
PVC Coupler and drilled Plug

Figure 9

Figure 9.1



















Next I prepared the post by cutting strips of cardboard and wrapping them around the outside of the PVC Coupler until I had the right fit, then hot glued the cardboard and coupler into place in one end of the bolt tube MAKING SURE THE SMOOTH END OF THE COUPLER WAS CLOSEST TO THE END OF THE TUBE in preparation to slide over the plug. (See figure 10)

Figure 10
Bottom end of bolt tube
coupler and cardboard
glued inside - smooth end
of coupler toward edge
of tube - slips over plug
inside the base
Figure 11
Looking at base from the bottom
-Second 12" circle glued in place
From there, I determined how tall I wanted my finished lamp post to be and after preparing the second 12" circle, hot glued it, wood and plug side up, inside the base at the proper height. (See figures 11 & 11.1)
I had to glue in small sections and hold the cardboard in place until it was cool/set enough that I could let go and have it stay.



I then taped the base piece along the seam to secure it in place around the circles. I made sure all tape was securely in place I assembled the post and base together then spray painted the two pieces.


Figure 11.1
View of base from the top.
You can see the second circle
with the wood and plug.

After it was dry I added the lamp box to the top. Done! Ready to insert the push lamp for lighting affect.

Finished
&
Unfinished

-Jill

3 comments: